Who are we?
The Shim Shack division of Stock Mfg. & Design specializes in producing custom metal shims, brackets, mounting plates, spacers, gaskets, test coupons, etc. We pride ourselves on servicing our customers with a custom product and a quick turnaround. We are located in Harrison, OH – just a few miles west of Cincinnati. We service customers all over the world. There are an endless number of applications for the parts we make and there is no job too big or too small for us. Click here to read some testimonials about our work.
The Story of Stock Mfg. & The Shim Shack
In the mid-50’s, Marv Stock owned and operated his own metal fabrication company called Melben Products. After 6 years in business, Marv sold his business in 1961 to Bob Kluener, owner of Campbell Hausfeld. Melben Products was now a division of Campbell Hausfeld.
In 1974, Campbell Hausfeld signed a large contract with Sears Roebuck to sell it’s Melben Air Compressors in all the Sears Roebuck stores. To fulfill the large demand, Melben Products, a division Campbell Hausfeld, decided to exit the job shop fabrication business and solely produce air compressor products. Naturally, their customers began looking for a supplier to replace what Melben had previously fabricated for them. In June of 1974, Stock Manufacturing was born to fill that void.
Marv’s two sons, Larry and Dennis Stock saw a window of opportunity to start their own metal fabrication business. Larry and Dennis began their business journey with the hopes of providing a good livelihood for their families and their employees. They worked out of a two car garage in Western Hills until they needed more production space. The first five years, the building years, required long hours of work and every penny of investment. They enjoyed those times. They were fun and work did not seem like work. The school days and summers they spent working in the fabrication field at Melben really helped them learn the metal fab business.
From the very beginning, the company was built on the talents of the employees. Larry and Dennis learned very quickly that the employee is the most important asset in any business. They were also committed to staying abreast and up to date with the technological advancement in the equipment used within the industry. That of course meant capital investment. The Small Business Administration (SBA) was instrumental in providing credit to secure loans.
Larry upheld the sales, estimation, and accounting end of the business, while Dennis took care of the engineering needs of the business. They shared in the production efforts until 1981, when brother Tony Stock joined the business to take over that role. Over the years, the 3 brothers progressively grew and expanded the business.
Today Stock Mfg. is owned and operated by the 2nd generation of Stock family members. Stock Mfg. has four locations around the greater Cincinnati area and has 5 business units that make up approximately 170 employees.
Stock Mfg. History Timeline
- June 1974 – Stock Mfg. starts (contract job shop fabrication) out of two car garage in Western Hills (a suburb of Cincinnati, OH)
- 1976 – Stock Mfg. builds new shop in Cleves, OH
- 1990 – QMP Corporation (QMP – dust collector/clean air products) a new division is added to Stock Mfg.
- 1994 – Stock Mfg. (contract job shop fabrication) expansion and addition to building in Cleves, OH
- 1999 – Premier Coatings, Ltd. (PCL – powder coat paint shop) opens powder coat paint shop in 22,000 sq. ft. building in Fairfield, OH
- 2006 – The Shim Shack (custom metal shims) a new division is added to Stock Mfg.
- 2014 – QMP Corporation (industrial dust collector/clean air products) moves to a new 12,000 sq. ft. building in Harrison, OH
- 2016 – Stock MHS (material handling systems) a new division is added to Stock Mfg.
- 2017 – Stock Mfg. West Chester (local job shop fabrication) moves to purchased 49,000 sq. ft. building in West Chester, OH
- 2020 – Stock Mfg. hires President, Dave Fulton to lead daily business operations into the future
We Offer A Full Range of Services
The Shim Shack is a subsidiary of Stock Mfg. & Design Co., Inc. At Stock Mfg. & Design Co., Inc. we offer a wide variety of fabrication services including: